I've been associated with the personal finance website Bankrate.com since 1999. That was the year the hubby and I moved to South Florida and serendipitously I found a job at a place that was (1) close to our home and (2) got me back to my journalism roots.
I helped launch the site's tax channel. It was great fun being part of a new endeavor, especially one focused on my professional writing passion.
When we left the Sunshine State in 2005 to return home to Texas, I started Don't Mess With Taxes so I could continue to write regularly about taxes.
But I also kept writing for Bankrate. And when I got the chance to blog for that website, too, I jumped at it.
In May 2011, I decided to formalize that connection. I instituted the new feature "last week at my other tax blog."
This page will keep track of those posts that go up here each Saturday, or Sunday's if I'm having a good weekend!
- Dec. 29, 2012: Washington 20515
- Dec. 22, 2012: Fiscal cliff plans proposed, disposed and Superstorm Sandy relief proposals
- Dec. 15, 2012: Tax identity theft and AMT watch
- Dec. 8, 2012: IRS seizes Lindsay Lohan accounts and IRS bumps up mileage deduction rates
- Dec. 1, 2012: Tax connections between consumer spending, tax rates & Powerball winnings
- Nov. 24, 2012: Employee/contractor misclassification and fiscal cliff fears
- Nov. 18, 2012: Superstorm Sandy charity scams; Occupy Wall Street's debt forgiveness project
- Nov. 13, 2012: Superstorm Sandy tax considerations; California cities' soda tax falls flat
- Nov. 3, 2012: Disasters, natural and financial
- Oct. 27, 2012: Sorting through costly tax breaks and CEO fiscal cliff recommendations
- Oct. 21, 2012: Rumbles over tax plans; inflation adjusments for 2013 retirement limits
- Oct. 13, 2012: Tax debts on credit reports and tax cheats getting tax rewards
- Oct. 7, 2012: Fiscal cliff costs and debate yada yada
- Sept. 29, 2012: Disregarded tax deductions, nonpaying taxpayers and Mitt Romney
- Sept. 22, 2012: Low taxes; No taxes
- Sept. 15, 2012: FICA on severance pay; Estimated tax deadline
- Sept. 8, 2012: Employee business expense deductions; Organ donation tax breaks
- Sept. 1, 2012: CEO pay & corporate taxes; Home-sale tax rumor
- Aug. 26, 2012: Tax the wealthy; Romney's tax deduction plans
- Aug. 18, 2012: Ignoring Ryan's tax plan; IRS help with FAFSA
- Aug. 11, 2012: Massachusetts 2012 tax holiday; EFTPS phishing tax scam reappears
- Aug. 4, 2012: Olympic medalist tax break; Romney's audit issues
- July 29, 2012: Trillions in global offshore accounts; Forgoing difficult tax breaks
- July 21, 2012: Amazon taxes expanding; Mitt Romney's tax secrets
- July 14, 2012: Presidential tax plan; Hot wealther's cool tax breaks
- July 7, 2012: TomKat divorce, taxes; Stormy tax holiday
- June 30, 2012: High- vs. no-tax states; High court health care tax
- June 23, 2012: Early property tax payment issues; Few hit if tax rates rise
- June 16, 2012: Lauryn Hill's IRS issues; Oregon's $2.1 million fraudulent refund
- June 9, 2012: Cigarette tax hikes; Proposed FSA changes
- June 3, 2012: State tax collectors going to extremes; Wealthy escape IRS tax bills
- May 25, 2012: Taxes vs. healthy eating; Property tax appeals deadlines
- May 19, 2012: Facebook expatriation taxes times two
- May 12, 2012: Facebook IPO taxes; adoption tax credit ending
- May 6, 2012: Ex-NFL players charged in tax scam; Tax expatriate movement growing
- April 28, 2012: Amending returns; Passport tax possibility
- April 21, 2012: Tax Day freebies; 3 Tax Day tips; Disaster filing/tax relief
- April 14, 2012: Buffett Rule push; Tax Day driving dangers; State taxes due, too
- April 7, 2012: States betting on gambling revenue; Most tax-organized cities
- March 31, 2012: Cost of tax procrastination; Foreclosure tax relief
- March 25, 2012: GOP budget; Avoiding tax on canceled debt
- March 17, 2012: Report all your income; Tax break for helping an adult child
- March 10, 2012: GOP presidential hopefuls tax plans; IRS expands Fresh Start initiative
- March 3, 2012: Tax rates for the rich; Kanye's foundation problems
- Feb. 25, 2012: Romney's tie to tax shelter; Refund locator problems
- Feb. 18, 2012: Payroll tax cut extended; Santorum tax returns
- Feb. 11, 2012: Foreign account reporting; E-file fears grow
- Feb. 4, 2012: NY Giants property taxes; Frequent flier tax confusion; Facebook IPO and taxes
- Jan. 28, 2012: Romney's tax lesson (marginal/effective rates) and aggressive filing; Anti-fraud program delays refunds
- Jan. 21, 2012: Free File and the economy; Capital gains tax rate
- Jan 14, 2012: Auditing the rich; Watch out for tax scams
- Jan. 7, 2012: Tax refund loan cousins; April 17 deadline
- Dec. 31,2011: Year-end tax moves; Rich don't pay enough taxes
- Dec. 24, 2011: Payroll tax cut extension takes 1, 2 and 3
- Dec. 17, 2011: IRA charity rollover almost over; Anti-Congress sentiment grows
- Dec. 10, 2011: FSA over spending; Big companies avoid state taxes
- Dec. 3, 2011: Employee or contractor; Undeliverable refunds
- Nov. 26, 2011: Roth taxes; Congress' year-end tasks
- Nov. 19, 2011: Withholding considerations for couples
- Nov. 12, 2011: Christmas tree taxes; Higher inlfation, higher taxes?
- Nov. 5, 2011: Failing education credits; Big business tax breaks
- Oct. 29, 2011: Robin Hood tax advocates; IRS budget troubles
- Oct. 22, 2011: North Dakota property taxes to be axed and Flurry of flat taxes
- Oct. 15, 2011: Beware tax scams and Be leery of 9-9-9 tax plan
- Oct. 8, 2011: Reporting undocumented income and Fat tax rationale
- Oct. 1, 2011: FSAs ignored and IRS payment plan problems
- Sept. 24, 2011: Innocent tax spouses and Obama tax plan
- Sept. 18, 2011: Tax deduction reductions and Estimated tax deadline
- Sept. 10, 2011: More disaster tax assistance and Clergy's housing break
- Sept. 3, 2011: CEO pay bests IRS payments and Disaster deductions
- Aug. 27, 2011: Educational tax breaks, Everybody avoids taxes and Disclosing foreign accounts
- Aug. 20, 2011: Energy efficient mortgages, Gas tax fight (or not) and Final summer tax holidays
- Aug. 13, 2011: Congressional downgrades, Amazon taxes (or not) in California and more tax holidays
- Aug. 6, 2011: Airline ticket tax refunds on, then off, and Tax holidays
- July 23, 2011: Mississippi tax holiday and tax pro regs redux
- July 16, 2011: Homebuyer refunds still on hold and Offshore tax havens under fire
- July 9, 2011: Housing tax break costs and Minnesota's budget crisis
- July 23, 2011: Homowner tax credit worthlessness and Stock options tax costs
- July 16, 2011: Homebuyer refunds still on hold and Offshore tax trickery under fire
- July 9, 2011: Housing tax break costs and Minnesota's budget crisis
- July 2, 2011: Mileage rates hiked and Some IRS employees not filing their taxes
- June 25, 2011: Taxpayer pays for tax pro error and Banks sued for state/county foreclosure taxes
- June 18, 2011: Charities lose IRS OK and No tax for high earners
- June 11, 2011: Tax cuts turn 10 and Employer payroll
- June 4, 2011: What 401(k)s cost Uncle Sam and
Adoptive parents wait on tax refunds
- May 28, 2011: Sales tax holidays and Gas excise taxes
- May 21, 2011: Refund tracking and Auditing the rich
- May 14, 2011: Worst tax season ever and U.S. vs.
- May 7, 2011: Who gets taxed how much and States
Remember, you can see them when they go live at my Bankrate Taxes Blog, usually each Tuesday and Thursday.
You also can check out what happened on my other tax blog in 2013 and 2014.
You also can find links to the most recent Bankrate posts (and the RSS feed) in the right column of the ol' blog.
Also over there is a link to my original Bankrate tax blog, Eye on the IRS, as well as a link to Don't Mess With Taxes posts in which I reference my other tax blog(s).
Thanks for reading, here and there!
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.