Free online filing is available for state tax returns, too
Tax Day is here! File something today!

Yes, I'm still working on my own 2012 tax return

Fellow tax-filing procrastinators, take a look at the photo below for proof that I'm sharing your tax pain today as we stare down the April 15 filing deadline together.

Strewn (OK, sort of neatly stacked) across the floor there is all my 2012 tax background material, receipts and other documentation so I can plug my numbers into my tax preparation software.

2012 tax filing spread April 14 2013

I like to pencil the tax data in on paper forms first, just to make sure I have everything I need. I also find it easier to compare the return I'm working on with last year's printed copy when everything is on paper.

I'm in pretty good shape, especially since I'm going to file a Form 4868 extension request. That's what's up on my laptop screen, although the cell phone camera didn't pick up the image.

My reason for getting six more months? I want to make sure I have all my self-employment tax info absolutely correct so I can make the maximum 2012 contribution to my retirement account.

While folks who are employees must put money in their traditional or Roth IRAs by the April filing deadline, self-employed workers generally get until their extension due date to contribute to and, with some plan types, to open their retirement savings plans for the previous tax year.

So not only do I get the extra time to calculate how much I can contribute, I also get more time to come up with the money.

Now back to work!

You also might find these items of interest:


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.